The Miracle Morning (Hal Elrod)
Starting your day on the right foot sets the tone for the rest of the day and it is no different for athletes as it is for a business person. One of the key ingredients to ensuring a long-term success is how you set up your morning ritual. Now if we snooze a lot and then just go get coffee and load up the internet while we look at Facebook, chances are, we are not going to get the most out of our day. So, what do you need? You need a powerful morning ritual and that is the author’s point. All successful people set up their morning in a way earlier than most people rise and follow certain activities almost as a universal principle for success. So, what are these things? The author lays out six.
1. Spend some time in silence. It could be prayer or meditation depending on what tradition you are from.
2. Visualize the goals you want to achieve. Vividly visualize them.
3. Affirm these goals with affirmations. Brief statements about why you want to achieve, what you achieved and want to achieve.
4. Read a little bit. The author suggests at least 10 pages a day.
5. Write. Write down your goals. Write down things you are grateful for. Write down seeing yourself achieve the goals. Write down lessons learned.
6. Exercise a little bit. Even for an athlete, doing some sit ups and push-ups, even though they may be going to the gym later, something to get the blood flowing will help your morning out a lot.
So, by implementing these activities, what you are basically doing is giving fuel to your mind. Your mind is a muscle and when you start feeding it and exercising it in the right way, it starts to grow in the right ways, and athletes can benefit enormously by this because they usually have big goals that they are trying to achieve and there is a lot of stress and pressure behind it. So by taking control of your day, first thing in the morning with the right activities, you will find yourself along the way of big performance.